Critique and Editing Services
I focus on story elements in my critiques, things like characters, plot, and pacing, not grammar and punctuation.
Why? Because agents and editors care first about story, about characters that make them sad to see the book end. If you’re breaking enough English rules to hurt you, I’ll let you know, but page-turning plot, authentic characters, and snappy dialogue are what we’ll focus on.
I’ll read as much of your manuscript as you’d like and give you feedback on major novel-writing techniques like plot, character development, setting, opening hook, and story flow. When I’m finished, you’ll know if your story is working, where it needs repair, and what you can do to fix it.
- 1 to 4,000 words — $40
- 4,001 to 8,000 words — $65
- 8,001 to 12,000 words — $95
- 12,001 to 16,000 words — $130
- 16,001 to 20,000 words — $175
- 20,001 to 25,000 words — $220
- 25,001 to 30,000 words — $270
- 30,001 to 35,000 words — $310
- 35,001 to 40,000 words — $350
- 40,001 to 45,000 words — $390
- 45,001 to 50,000 words — $425
- Over 50,000 words — contact me at sallybradleywrites AT gmail DOT com for a quote
A substantive edit is a nitty-gritty detailed edit that gets into all the corners of your novel. I’ll cover the elements in the manuscript critique above PLUS style elements like sentence structure, narrative and dialouge, showing and telling, and word choice. I’ll look for ways to make your dialogue sing and opportunities to make your characters as real as your family. Although this isn’t a copyedit, I’ll mark grammatical problems and spelling errors that I catch.
There’ll be extensive comments entered throughout your manuscript. Again, when you get your edit back, you’ll see exactly where you need to improve and understand the whys and hows of it.
- 1 to 4,000 words — $65
- 4,001 to 8,000 words — $90
- 8,001 to 12,000 words — $130
- 12,001 to 16,000 words — $175
- 16,001 to 20,000 words — $230
- 20,001 to 25,000 words — $290
- 25,001 to 30,000 words — $360
- 30,001 to 35,000 words — $425
- 35,001 to 40,000 words — $490
- Over 40,000 words — contact me at sallybradleywrites AT gmail DOT com for a quote
This is the perfect service for someone new to the novel-writing world or for the writer who’d like a quick checkup to see how they’re improving. I’ll read your manuscript and tackle the top two or three elements that need attention — things like how to use Point of View (and what it means), how to write plot instead of everyday vignettes, how to write authentic dialouge without identifying every speaker, and other equally important novel-writing skills.
- 25 Pages — $60
- 50 Pages –$120
- Over 50 Pages — contact me at sallybradleywrites AT gmail DOT com for a quote
Submission Guidelines: Please do not send me anything without contacting me first. Submissions must be on 8 1/2 by 11 inch paper, one-sided, double-spaced, with Times New Roman or Courier 12-point font. Margins should be at least one inch on all four sides. I use Microsoft Word’s Track Changes for all electronic submissions (which I prefer). If you need a service done on hard copy, please add 20% to the cost of all services under $200 and 15% to all services over $200.
If you have questions or would like to tailor one of these services for your project, please contact me at sallybradleywrites AT gmail DOT com. Put Bradley Writing and Editing Services in the Topic line.